Photobucket

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Reason #101.....Why I Love Classical Conversations!


One of the things I struggled with as an independent homeschooler (For the first 12 years of our home education experience) was getting in my science experiments and art projects.  


I would sit down in the summer and make the most amazing lesson plans.  Oh how I loved dreaming and planning the creative side of of our homeschool.  I would gaze lovingly and longingly all the exciting ways we could explore God's creation through hands-on FUN!  My heart would overflow with impatience and excitement to dig in and get-going.  My mind could see my boys faces lighting up with huge moments and aha and joy!  


Then reality would come in and steal my perfect little dream.....


The problem was at the end of the school year those perfect little plans were still sitting on my lesson planner page looking back at me.   All the details it requires to order special little things like magnetic shavings, sunprint paper, cow eyeballs, Tempera and watercolor paint with horsehair brushes, would cause me to procrastinate and finally to resolve that it just wasn't going to happen this year.  I would placate myself by promising we would get to it the next year...and so the cycle went.


Fast forward to three years ago when we joined Classical Conversations.  


At the time I was looking forward to the already put together lesson plans being done for me.  I knew this would allow me to enjoy doing school without being bogged down in the putting-it-all-together phase.


It never occurred to me that another perk to being a part of the CC Community was that we would get to show up once a week for 24 weeks and have someone else take care of all the supplies, set-up, and clean up of art and science.  


It wasn't until a month into the program that I realized this was the first time in twelve years my boys were consistently getting to immerse themselves in the scientific method using experiments to peak their interest.



Today, as a first-time Foundations/Essentials Director I am putting together the science and art supplies for our next school year.  As I gaze upon my bed and see all of the wonderful supplies sitting there, my heart is overwhelmed with the purpose of community and the blessing it brings to set families up for homeschooling success.  


For it was in Him that all things were created, in heaven and on earth, things seen and things unseen, whether thrones, dominions, rulers, or authorities; all things were created and exist through Him [by His service, intervention] and in and for Him.- Col 1:16


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment