Photobucket

Thursday, March 9, 2017

She Plucked And Ate!


 

As I was reading through Genesis 3 today I was struck by a pattern taking place in the Garden 2000 years ago that I see in my own life today.  (The life of all women) This scenereo sneaks up on us and pulls our focus from the life GIVER to the peace stealer!   A whole lot happened before Eve "Plucked and ate" the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.  


  • SERPENT:  "Is it true that God has forbidden you to eat fruit from the trees of the garden"?   Genesis 3:1
  • EVE:  "No, serpent. God said we are free to eat the fruit from the trees in the garden. We are granted access to any variety and all amounts of fruit with one exception: the fruit from the tree found in the center of the garden. God instructed us not to eat or touch the fruit of that tree or we would die."  Genesis 3:2-3
  • SERPENT:  "The truth is that God knows the day you eat from that tree you will awaken something powerful in you and become like Him.  You will possess knowledge of good and evil.  Genesis 3:5
  • EVE:  "The woman approached the tree, eyed its fruit, and coveted its mouth watering wisdom.  SHE PLUCKED AND ATE..  "Suddenly their eyes were open.  For the first time they sensed their vulnerability.  Genesis 3:6


Chapter three goes on and shows how both Adam and Eve chose to blame each other rather than to take responsibility for their own actions and repent.  I see how God had provided this beautiful place, filled and full of wonder and awe, and because of Eve turning away from God and turning towards the serpent, they lost it all.  

I sit here this morning and I ponder this question....What if Eve had not engaged the serpent at all from the very first question?  What if instead, she had turned away from "it" and turned to "God"?   (Romans 8). 

I know that may own sinful actions begin when I turn my focus from the lover of my soul to the one who loves to fascinate and then assassinate.  

Catch the foxes for us, The little foxes that spoil and ruin the vineyards of love, While our vineyards are in blossom.” -- Song of Solomon 2:15

Did you notice that this story did not start with..."She Plucked And Ate".   Eve's outward behavior did not engage in sin until AFTER she had engaged in listening to that "other" voice.  I wonder how many times we ponder the words of our own sinful nature without even knowing what we're doing?  I pray that God would help us to catch those foxes before they steal the fruit of our vineyard.  .     


No comments:

Post a Comment