Photobucket

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Conversational Math!



I cannot believe that our class was beginning to discuss how we are almost to the end. Honestly, this has been our families favorite homeschool year, EVER!


Today, we piloted conversational math in our classroom.  It was beyond incredible.  At one point my eyes welled up with tears.  Why?  Because I saw that teaching excludes and conversation includes.  Those that are advanced or on-target were actually discussion MORE math than they ever have, but the biggest blessing was watching those students who are working a little behind light up and come to life! 


I was so in awe of the job Mrs. Mullins did today.  Teaching can be far more comfortable than leading discussions.  You feel in control with a textbook in your hands.  Today the entire class was done simply with white boards, markers, and erasers.  


After Mrs. Mullins left to go be with her daughter in her Foundations class the Challenge A kids and I had a discussion about what they thought regarding this new way of doing math on community day.  Every single person raved that they loved it.  My favorite responses:

  • I felt like I got a lot more out of it.
  • It made sense!  I always feel like I don't know what they're discussing.
  • It definitely did not get boring.


The purpose of community day is to come together with peers to have humble, powerful, deep discussions.  It doesn't matter which math program, which grade level, what skill set your child is working at, they will find that conversational math helps every single student solidify concepts so they stick and stay put.


I love that we are setting all of our students up for success!  I love that Leigh Bortin's consistently seeks the Lord and makes her decisions based on HIS leading and guiding.  Honestly, honestly, Classical Conversations makes homeschooling a JOY!  Something to be celebrated and savored, not just something to check off our to-do list.  Praise the Lord!



May my children delight in the law of the Lord, may they meditate on it day and night.  May they be like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season.  May their leaves never wither, and may the prosper in ALL they do.  Psalms 1:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment