Photobucket

Monday, June 13, 2011

Do you have a husband struggling spiritually?


"In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands.  Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words.  They will be won over by observing your pure and reverent lives."-- 1 Peter 3:1

It seems like yesterday that I was praying for my sweet husband to accept Jesus as His Savior.  I love this man so very much.  He was/is one of the most moral, upright human beings you could ever hope to know.  However, if he had died he would have spent an eternity in hell and this single thought grieved my heart beyond anything else.

As a new christian I was a bit over zealous.  I would come home and sing the praises of my new found faith.  I so wanted my husband to be a part of my new life.  Thus began my new career of personal evangelist.  I thought it was my job to "help" my husband.

I would invite him to church, men's dinners, marriage retreats, anything that would get him around other believers.  He was never put off or rude, but simply not led to accept Jesus Christ as His Savior.


A precious, older, Godly woman encouraged me to quit bugging him about it and to just live my life in front of Him.  I asked the Lord to show me how to do that and He was faithful.

Each week I would get up and get my two babies ready.  I would Pack the diaper bags, get the bottles, get the boys dressed and GO!  The Lord honestly helped me to not feel frustrated that Scott was not going.  I just loved him and desired that he know Christ too.

As the years began to go by one by one I would worry that I wasn't doing enough.  However, God's time and man's are two totally different things.
(This picture is actually 23 years later but whatever, lol)
 
9 Years Later:

I was singing a solo one Sunday morning. (This was the only thing that would get him to church.  He loved me and always supported me when I sang)  We had a traveling evangelist visiting this particular morning and as Lucien Behar spoke truth into our hearts, little did I know that God was speaking to Scott.  

As Lucien gave the alter call at the end of the message I was surprised to see my husband get up and go forward. I truthfully don't remember even going with him.  It was surreal. I felt numb.  Here God was answering the cry of my heart and I couldn't believe it.

Later that night when we were talking I asked him what had taken so long.  He didn't know exactly, but he did share with me I had preached so much in the beginning that he had shut off.  

He said, that one of things that had begun to bother him was feeling like he was missing out.  He would watch us get excited about church every Sunday and come home fulfilled. He saw me reading my bible.  He saw me mess up and watched how I would get back up and keep on going.  

I share this because I had had no idea what he was thinking and often worried that I should be doing more.  NO!  My job is not to be anyone's holy spirit.  I speak and live truth but I have to remember not to get in God's way.


Thank you, Jesus!

Do you have a husband who is not saved?  A husband who is struggling spiritually?  Do you wish your husband would read the bible more?  

The answer is not in us teaching our husbands, but in loving them where they're at, and modeling before them a strong relationship with Jesus ourselves.
 
"In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands.  Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words.  They will be won over by observing your pure and reverent lives."-- 1 Peter 3:1

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! Especially the part about not being anyone's Holy Spirit. I wish I had learned this years ago...family members really get tired of being made to feel 'less than ok' all the time because of something a baby Christian keeps saying. Maybe we should have a course on "What Not to Say" for newbies?

    ReplyDelete