Photobucket

Monday, December 5, 2016

I desire MERCY not sacrifice...

I am not here to attend to people who are already right with God; I am here to attend to sinners.  In the book of Hosea, we read, "It is not sacrifice I want, but mercy.  Go and meditate on that for a while--maybe you'll come to understand it."  Matthew 9:13

 

My heart was drawn to compare and contrast Mercy and Sacrifice!

  • Mercy:  Compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  
  • Synonyms:  Leniency, Clemency, Compassion, Grace, Pity, Charity, Forgiveness, Forebearance


  • Sacrifice:  An act of surrendering [a habit] or possession as an offering to God.
  • Synonyms: Offerings, Oblation, gift, burnt offering


In addition, I decided to do a search for the verse Matthew is referring to in the book of Hosea 6:6 and I loved the differing scriptures that have the same meaning, but present slightly differently.  


1-Amplified
 

Sacrifice is something that comes from man, but MERCY IS A GIFT THAT IS MANIFESTED FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT.



2-The Message

 

He wants my whole heart! (Aka:Relationship) NOT a sacrifice born from the desire to earn favor based on my outward behavior.  (Aka: Works)



3-The Voice

 

It's all about the relationship!  He tells me to simply go to Him (Come, to me, Mary) and HE will do all the work. 


There are times where sacrifice can be a beautiful thing...when it's born out of Holy Spirit adoration, prompting, and moving.  Sacrifice cannot come with an expectation of something in return.  We give a sacrifice of Praise simply because we love Him....


"Through Jesus, then, let us keep offering to God our own sacrifice, the praise of lips that confess His name without ceasing."  Hebrews 13:15

No comments:

Post a Comment