Photobucket

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Defining & Digging into Reverence



The FEAR OF THE LORD (reverence) is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding”
-Proverbs 9:10

This morning my entire heart is focused on finding and defining reverence, which is the definition of Fear of the Lord.  My dad was the superstar of modeling this in the human form.  I am sitting here remembering fondly.

DEFINING: Reverence is a healthy fear born out of love, respect, and esteem of the one in authority.  It’s trusting that they love you completely and want what is best for you even if you don’t agree or understand.

HUMAN EXAMPLE:  My dad modeled this so well for me.  I KNEW to say yes sir, and no sir, I knew when there were chores they better be done, I knew that I could not be one minute past curfew. If I did...watch out!  But I also knew that I could trust my dad to take care of me and that no matter how mad he was at me, you better not mess with his kids😊

I still remember an incident from when I was just 16 years old.  A male manager at the fast food restaurant I worked at had been saying and doing things that were become increasingly more and more  inappropriate.  (Nothing horrible...just escalating) I sought out my parents for counsel.  The very next day dad took me to work and in front of the entire staff and my bosses boss put that man in his place.  This morning it makes me laugh...at 16 I was embarrassed and angry, but if I were to admit it, relieved.  Even though my behavior looked outraged, inwardly, that was a defining moment in my life of what it looks like to have someone who protects. (I’m so sorry to my friends who I know did not have this)   

Reverence for me was learning the freedom that comes in submission to my authority.  (Even though I came kicking and screaming most times)

What does Holy Reverence look like?

❄️Do I believe that no matter what happens to me or to those I love that I can trust that God knows better than me.  
❄️Can I submit to His plan for my life even though I may not understand it?  
❄️Do I acknowledge that humans fail us and cause us pain and hurt, but that God is absolutely JUST and that He will deliver justice better than any human authority ever could?

No comments:

Post a Comment