Photobucket

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Made To Crave- Chapter Three

Envying Other Peoples Gardens


"Last spring I took a shortcut through a neighborhood and caught a glimpse of a man planting a flower garden. It was just a quick glance, but long enough to produce a lingering thought: I wish I had a pretty garden.



For years I've looked at other people's flowers and secretly wished for my own lush display. However, the glimpse of this man with his hands digging deep into the earth brought a new revelation. He has a garden because he invests time and energy to make it happen.



He didn't wish it into being. He didn't hope it into being. He didn't just wake up one day and find that a garden of glorious blooms had miraculously popped up from the first.



NO!



He worked at it. He sacrificed for it. Day after day. Row by row. Seed by seed. Plant by plant. It took effort, intentionality, sweat equity, and determination. Then it took time and commitment before he ever saw any fruit from his labor.

But eventually, there was a bloom... and then another.. and then another. 

I saw this man's flowers and wished for my own-- without a clue about all the work that had gone into producing them. I want the flowers but not the work. Isn't that the way it is with many things in life-- we want the results but have no desire to put in the work required?"
(page 35, Made To Crave)
 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment