Photobucket

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

1 John 5 COMES ALIVE!






This morning I woke up and was in task mode.  Oh how good task mode feels.  My brain experiences organization and motivation.   

I have a to-do list ready to go and the strength to walk it out.  Check, check, check... As I was checking off 1 John 5 this morning I realized that I was looking for "good verses" to focus on, but I was not really engaging with the author, or praying through my reading.  I was on a hunt to find a good scripture, write it out, thank God for it, and then...GO GET READY FOR THE DAY!  (Check that box) 

The Lord gave me tender conviction and I started over through the power of the Holy Spirit.  My heart was so completely consumed with God when I changed my audience from my task list to my purpose giver...HIS Words nearly consumed me.  I want to share with you what God showed me in 1 John today.   

We are not on a "good verse" hunt. We are on a marathon journey of a race that draws us into an intimate relationship like we've never experienced before.  As the Holy Spirit renewed my hunger for more of Him I couldn't wait to start over and read my bible with eyes focused on Everlasting life.  As I interacted with the Lord, here is what He showed me....

We know we are God’s children if we love God and obey his commandments.  Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome.  1 John 5:2-3

Lord, strengthen my heart to keep those commandments that I struggle with.  I have found my heart hungering after food, favorite tv shows, reading books, that water down my hunger for YOUR BOOK.  Show me how I can finish well this race I've been given.

For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith.  And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.  1 John 5:4-5

You are SO good!  You immediately answered my prayer... we achieve this victory through our faith.   FAITH!  

Lord, increase my faith. 

  • Help me to believe, REALLY BELIEVE that you can and will overcome my love and cravings for comfort that are not from you. 
  • Help me through the power of the Holy Spirit to turn away from that voice that wants to tell me my heart is too calloused or my habit is too ingrained.  
  • Help me to believe that you can overcome those parts of my being that cling to this world.  

Galatians 2:20:  My old self has been crucified with Christ.It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.-- NLT

TRUSTING:  Relying, Leaning on, Leaning into, Completely depending on.

I love how you sealed the deal with the very last verse of 1 John 5:21....

Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts.




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment